I know, I know its a picture book but I reread it and i still love it. Just the idea of running away and turning into a king of monsters is pretty complex even for a picture book.. I think Max is great role model for people young or old. He shows all though acting on your own is fun, theres nothing better than your family.
I think the author was trying to say that everyone has had that one moment in life where they just want to run away to a small place. As a child you just see it at the first level of the story, but as keep going deeper and deeper into it you realize the truth behind it. at the end when he comes home theres a hot bowl of oatmeal waiting for him, i think that's a metaphor for that no matter how far you stray from home there will always be a warm heart waiting for you at home.
Now for this book some people think it was just his imagination that conjured up this magical story but I don't think so. i think if you really want to believe this book and see it as a intellectual reader and unlock the inner child in yourself just believe.
I like how you talked about the themes in the book. Even though its a picture book for young readers, you were able to express a lot about it and read between the lines.
ReplyDeleteTyler,
ReplyDeleteI like how you thought more deeply about the underlying messages of Where the Wild Things Are.
i love your message in this post and i completely agree. Dave Eggers turned the screenplay for the movie into a novel...maybe it would be worth reading?
ReplyDelete