Have you had a crappy day? Arnold Spirit the main character of this book has a crappy life. He is a native American and lives on reservation. He's not the smartest kid but also not the toughest kid there. His best friend Rowdy is probably his only friend in the beginning of the story.
In the book he finds a textbook that was owned by his mom and had a Epiphany of how poor his reservation really is. In this he decides to go to a white school. I love how Sherman Alexie makes Arnold a usually not rebellious person be one of he first native Americans to leave the reservation.
This is social action because everyone at that school is racist towards him but he keeps going and doesn't give up on that goal of a good education. The teachers and kids hate him, even most people on the reservation think hes a horrible person for betraying his people. Arnold looks through this and keeps going and begins to make friends throughout the book and even makes the basketball team.
I think Arnold is a great role model to look through all hardships and keep going.
I like how you talked about what you liked what the author did.
ReplyDeletei like how you started it out with have you had a crappy day?
ReplyDeleteTyler,
ReplyDeleteThis book seems to have a really interesting plot and social issue at hand. I wanted to hear more!
I liked the last sentence where you said "I think Arnold is a great role model to look through all hardships and keep going" because he never gives up
ReplyDelete